The PSTASS is an emergency underwater escape breathing device primarily designed for helicopter escape by untrained troops and passengers. It is also suitable for applications such as amphibious vehicle escape. The PSTASS is compact, lightweight, has a central hose (non-handed), low inherent breathing resistance and a double non-return valve preventing water ingress, among other features.
It is now the only emergency breathing system accredited by the Civil Aviation Authority and is widely used throughout the North Sea oil and gas industry.
Features & Benefits
The Apeks Passenger Short Term Air Supply System, (PSTASS) is a simple and cost effective underwater emergency escape breathing device, primarily designed for helicopter escape by untrained troops, passengers and cadets. It is also suitable for other applications such as amphibious vehicle escape.
A unique double non-return valve means the user does not have to purge the mouthpiece before taking that vital first breath. Without this feature, cold water shock and the gasp reflex can lead to a potentially fatal intake of water instead of air. Although the precise length of breathing time available will depend on several factors, the target capacity is to provide the user with at least two minutes of breathing gas at a depth of 5 metres and a water temperature of +10OC. This target capacity is achieved by an inexperienced user under the shock and work conditions associated with emergency escape scenarios.
- Optimised for ease of use by untrained helicopter or vehicle passengers
- Provides user with at least 2 minutes of air at a depth of 5 metres in 10oC water
- Unique double non-return valve prevents water ingress during first inhalation
- Compact second stage and light-weight non-handed central hose can be made to any length required
- Low inherent breathing resistance
- Integrated nose clip (removable)
- Purge button
- Pressure Indicator gauge
- Green “On” indicator gives visual indication that unit is ready for use
- All parts are NSN codified
- Spares kits, Tool and Test kits available
||All materials are approved for use in the Aerospace industry
||0.4 Litres M18 Aluminium Alloy 232Bar (other sizes and 300Bar available on request)